Danielle Warby is an advocate for women in sport and has been working to promote women’s sport since 2006.
Part journalist, part marketer, part content manager, part public relations and full time fan.
- Visit my full profile on LinkedIn to see more examples of my work. Do feel free to add me but, if we don’t know each other yet, PLEASE send a message with your connection request.
- Follow @DanielleWarby on Twitter
Articles by Danielle Warby
- Out on Instagram: Are elite sportswomen changing what coming out looks like? – The Lifted Brow
- Underpaid, under-protected: Australian football’s women players deserve better – Mashable
- Sex sells sex, not women in Australian sport – The Guardian
- And for a bit of fun: Your imaginary boyfriend David Pocock totally supports women in sport – SBS Zela
Women in sport – oh, the things I’ve done
I was the managing editor of Zela, SBS’s website devoted to women in sport. I also managed the Facebook and Twitter accounts.
I was the content and community manager at sportforwomen.com.au and content and social strategist at thewomensgame.com. I produced content on sportswomen for Rebel Sport. Helped out Tameka Butt and Lauren Reynolds with media relations.
I am the founder and managing editor of Sporting Sheilas, a website I set ran from 2006-2016. It’s an ever-evolving project and I’m now focused on telling the stories of Aussie women in sport via Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
The Women’s Game: W-League Web Series
A staple on the football landscape, and the premier source for Australian women’s football content, The Women’s Game is a leader in the women’s sport space.
I produced, directed and filmed the pilot episode of a women’s football web series with former Australian international, Sarah Walsh.
Speaking engagements and panels
I love getting up and talking about women’s sport. I could do it all day. Here’s a few events I’ve been a part of.
Play by the Rules’ Diversity and Inclusion in Sport Forum
Sports Writers Festival – The Rise of Women’s Sport
“Opportunity or Opportunism?”: Angela Pippos, Danielle Warby, Karen Lyon & Chloe Saltau moderated by Lynne Haultain.
Deakin WISE: ‘Celebrating women in sport and exercise’
MC of the Celebrating Girls in Sport Festival
— Danielle Warby (@DanielleWarby) November 8, 2016
- Tuesday 28 November 2017
- 9 am – 5 pm
- Griffith University, Gold Coast campus, Parklands Drive, Building G42, Level 4
Speaking of events, sometimes I organise them. Like Celebrating the Spike in Women’s Sport for Volleyball Australia. with special guests Angela Pippos, Kerri Pottharst, Natalie Cook, MC Becchara Palmer and a slew of current elite sportswomen like Alex Blakwell, Sharni Williams, Anna Flanagan and Lisa Darmanin.
Radio and podcasts
- ‘It’s a perfect storm’: the rise and rise of women in sport – ABC Overnights – The next five years are shaping to be memorable for female athletes as a number of sports strive to become genuine career opportunities. But how will the success of team sports like AFLW, soccer, netball and cricket affect the more individual sporting endeavours? Joining Trevor is writer and advocate for women in sport, Danielle Warby.
- On JoyFM talking AFL Women’s Draft & Melbourne Sports Writers Festival
- Ladies who League S1 Ep24 – Olympic fever hits Ladies who League this week and we become Ladies who Zela as we are joined by Danielle Warby (editor of SBS Zela) and Amanda Shalala from Fox Sports.
- Talking Point – Women in Sport – ABC Overnights – Not only did this year’s Melbourne Cup “stop the nation” as the race tends to do every year, but it also got people talking about women in sport after Michelle Payne became the first female jockey to ride the winning horse. She referred to horse racing afterwards as a “chauvinistic sport.” What are the challenges women face in sport and what will be the next big hurdle for women to overcome? Danielle Warby is an advocate for women in sport and Director of the Australian Womensport and Recreation Association. She’s also the Founder of Sporting Sheilas. Danielle Warby joins Rod Quinn.
- Ladies who League S1 Ep6 – A busy show today as Mary K is joined by Erin Riley, Danielle Warby, Megan Hustwaite and Naomi Stalenberg from the Thunder WBBL team to talk NRL, AFL, T20 and WNBL.
Life Member of the Flying Bats Women’s Football Club, the largest lesbian soccer club in the world. President (2 years) with an additional 5 years on the management committee.
In December 2012, I was a finalist in the Australian Sport Commission Media Awards for reporting on Women in Sport. This award was for my work on the London 2012 Olympics & Paralympics for Sports Hydrant’s Sport for Women site sportforwomen.com.au and I was presented with the award by the Federal Sports Minister, Senator Kate Lundy.
I was awarded the ‘Local Hero’ Legacy Award from the Federation of Gay Games for her work promoting women in sport and The Flying Bats in the LGBTI community.